In September 2013, a young woman named Angie was outside on her deck in Little Rock, Arkansas when she took a step near a flower pot. Immediately, she felt a quick, sharp pain in her pinkie toe. When she looked down, she realized the terrifying truth: Angie was bitten by a venomous snake. And not only was Angie barefoot at the time, but she was also 36 weeks pregnant.
Angie ran inside the house and screamed for her husband, Colby. The couple rushed to the hospital as her foot began swelling in the car, causing extreme pain. As the clock ticked by on the way to the hospital, Angie and Colby realized neither of them had any idea of what to do. “I really didn’t care about my leg,” Angie said. “I just was worried about my baby.” Angie called the doctors, who advised her to leave her leg down (not elevated) so the venom didn’t travel up to the heart.